General awareness section of competitive exams covers various concepts like general awareness, general knowledge, Current affairs and general knowledge. Check out our TNPSC Current affairs materials for 5th October 2018 that helps you to prepare for various Tamil Nadu Government Jobs competitive exams like TNPSC, TRB, TET, RRB, UPSC, Banking other Competitive Exam.
Saudi Arabia to invest in oil refinery in Gwadar, Pakistan
- Saudi Arabia announced that it is to invest in a new oil refinery in Pakistan’s growing deep-sea port of Gwadar, Islamabad. The agreement is after the visit of Pakistan’s new Prime Minister Imran Khan to the Gulf kingdom as he seeks to attract foreign investment.
Forbes India Rich List 2018: Mukesh Ambani is the richest Indian for 11th consecutive year with $47.3 billion
- Mukesh Ambani named as the richest Indian for the 11th consecutive year with a net worth of $47.3 billion, as per the ‘Forbes India Rich List 2018’.
VAT rates on fuel has been reduced in 12 States
- Last month, Rajasthan had cut its state VAT on diesel and petrol by Rs.2.5 per litre, while Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh both had cut their VAT rates by Rs.2 per litre. West Bengal and Kerala had cut their VAT rates on petrol and diesel by Rs.1 per litre in September and May, respectively. Karnataka and Kerala refused to cut rates further following day’s development.
- So far, the Modi’s government has raised the excise duty on diesel by Rs.14 and petrol by Rs.9 per litre. The Centre had hiked excise duty by Rs.10 and reduced it by only Rs. 2.50.
Indian International Science Festival Begins In Lucknow
- Indian International Science Festival (IISF) 2018 will start in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- President Ramnath Kovind will formally inaugurate the festival.
- IISF-2018 with its focal theme “Science for Transformation” will have 23 special events.
- Union Science and Technology Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan announced that about ten thousand scientists and experts, including science teachers and students, will participate in the event.
Vladimir Putin arrived in New Delhi for the annual summit
- Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in New Delhi for the annual summit with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The will discuss the Key regional and global issues including US sanctions on the import of Iranian crude oil and S-400 missile deal. Also, it is expected that Russia and India will be signing the S-400 air defence system deal and other pacts in the key sectors.
World Teachers Day is obseved on 5 October
- The theme for this year’s WTD is “The right to education means the right to a qualified teacher,”
- The WTD 2018 will mark the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948) recognizes education as a key fundamental right and establishes an entitlement to free compulsory education, ensuring inclusive and equitable access for all children.
ICICI Bank CEO Chanda Kochhar quits and Bakhshi takes over
- Chanda Kochhar, the MD and CEO of ICICI Bank, private sector lender, quit her position. This is after the bank’s appointment of a Srikrishna committee which is headed by Justice B.N. Srikrishna (retd.). The committee was to look into the allegations of conflict of interest against Ms.Kochhar. The committee is yet to officially submit its findings to the bank’s board. She had gone on leave after the committee was formed.
- The bank has now named Sandeep Bakhshi as the new MD & CEO and handed him a five-year term till October 3, 2023. The appointment is subject to regulatory approvals.
First Global Guidelines on Sanitation and Health launched by World Health organization
- World Health Organization (WHO) launched its first Global Guidelines on Sanitation and Health.
- According to estimation, for every US$ 1 invested in sanitation a nearly six-fold return can be expected.
- The new guidelines are based on four principal recommendations. They are:
- Accessible toilets, for entire communities, that safely contain excreta, through Sanitation interventions.
- Local health risk assessments to protect individuals and communities from exposure to excreta.
- Integration of sanitation into regular local government-led planning and service provision
- The health sector should invest more and play a coordinating role in sanitation planning to protect public health.
India ranked 28th among 73 countries in govt e-payment adoption: 2018 Visa Survey
- The Government E-Payments Adoption Ranking (GEAR), compiled by The Economist Intelligence Unit commissioned by payments company Visa ranked India as 28th country to progress in the digital transformation journey.
India and ADB Sign $ 150 Million Loan Agreement To Support Indias First Global Skills Park
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $150 million Loan Agreement in New Delhi to establish a Global Skills Park (GSP) in Madhya Pradesh, the First Multi-Skills Park in India, to enhance the quality of Technical and Vocational Education And Training (TVET) System in the State and create a more skilled workforce.
Experts says mutated virus might have killed Gujarat lions
- Wildlife experts say that the death of 21 lions in the last month maybe because of a mutation in a virus. In 1994, the Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) was responsible for an epidemic in the Serengeti region of Africa, where 1,000 lions died in 3 weeks. While the virus abounds in local tiger populations in Gujarat and is linked to deaths every year.
First Regional Conference On ‘Women In Detention And Access To Justice’ In Shimla
Swachh Survekshan Gramin Awards 2018 Announced
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave awards to top Ranked State, District and State with maximum citizen participation based on the National Swachh Survekshan Gramin 2018 commissioned by Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
Top 3 States:
Top 3 Districts:
- Satara, Maharashtra
- Rewari, Haryana
- Pedapalli, Telangana.
States with maximum citizen participation:
- Uttar Pradesh
Districts with maximum citizens’ participation-
- Nashik, Maharashtra,
- Solapur, Maharashtra,
- Chittorgarh, Rajasthan.
NMCG Partnered With TSAF To Launch Mission Gange
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) partnered with Tata Steel Adventure Foundation (TSAF) to launch a month-long rafting expedition of a team of 40 members which will be led by the first Indian woman to scale Mount Everest Ms. Bachendri Pal.
Check out TNPSC Updates for latest current affairs…