General awareness section of competitive exams covers various concepts like general awareness, general knowledge, Current affairs and general knowledge. Check out our TNPSC Current affairs materials for 14 October 2018 that helps you to prepare for various Tamil Nadu Government Jobs competitive exams like TNPSC, TRB, TET, RRB, UPSC, Banking other Competitive Exam.
Manu Bhaker Becomes Second Indian to Win Two Medals
- She bagged a silver medal after her gold medal finish in 10m air pistol event becoming only the second India after judoka Tababi Devi Thangjam to win two medals at the Youth Olympics in Buenos Aires.
- Indian men’s hockey team defeated Poland 4-2 in Hockey 5s to advance to the semi-finals while the women’s team reached the quarter-finals with a 5-2 win over So
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu to visit to inaugurate newly built annex of High Court Building
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu will visit Allahabad to inaugurate the newly built annex of the High Court Building. After this Programme. He will inaugurate the Twenty Year celebrations of the Indian Institute of Information Technology popularly known as Triple IT Allahabad.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Inaugurates Silver Jubilee Celebrations Of NHRC
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the National Human Rights Commission’s (NHRC) 25th anniversary an important role to play in government’s efforts to achieve sustainable development goals.
Gujarat Government vaccination of Gir lions against deadly Canine Distemper Virus CDV
India and Azerbaijan Agree To Enhance Bilateral Trade Relations
- The two countries signed a protocol on trade and economic, science and technology cooperation at the 5th meeting of India-Azerbaijan Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade and Economic, Science and Technology Cooperation which concluded in New Delhi.
CUJ signs MoU with ISRO to set up Space Applications Center
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) signed a MoU with the Central University of Jammu (CUJ) in Jammu for setting up of the Satish Dhawan Center for Space Science in the University.
- Another MoU was signed between the Central University of Jammu (CUJ) and the Central Scientific Instruments Organization (CSIR-CSIO). This is to create awareness about space research. This is the first of its kind institute coming up in Jammu and Kashmir and the building is proposed in an area of about 1,150 sq. m. The Space Science Centre at CUJ will have facilities for Geospatial Data analysis that will help in the sustainable use of natural resources and planning land-use pattern.
India ranks 115th in World Banks Human Capital Index
- The World Bank released the Human Capital Index (HCI) as part of the World Development Report 2019. The theme of the World Development Report (WDR) this year is “The Changing Nature of Work”. As part of this report, the World Bank has launched a Human Capital Project (HCP). The HCI has been constructed for 157 countries. The HCI for India has been estimated at 0.44. The Index was released at the World Bank-IMF Annual Meetings in Bali, Indonesia.
- Singapore ranked first for its universal health care system, education exams results and life expectancy figures. It is followed by South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and Finland. India was ranked at the 115th position.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj informs on winning UNHRC election
- India elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council, UNHRC, with highest number of votes. The 193-member UN General Assembly held elections for new members to the UN’s top human rights body.
Coal India Signs MoU With NLC For 5000 MW Power Generation
- Coal India Ltd. (CIL) is to jointly set up with NLC India (NLCIL), formerly Neyveli Lignite Corporation, for 5000 MW of power generation capacity of which 3000 MW would be solar powered while the rest 2000 MW would be coal-fuelled. CIL signed a MoU with NCIL for setting up a 50:50 joint venture company that would undertake the projects.
- Coal India has been tasked to become a net zero emission energy company by the ministry of coal, a move which requires it to generate 3,000 MW of solar power. The MoU also extends for setting up of 2,000 MW of thermal power generation across CIL’s subsidiaries.
Bank of Baroda MD and CEO P S Jayakumar get one-year extension
- Bank of Baroda’s Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, PS Jayakumar got a one-year extension on his role by the government.
Tushar Mehta is appointed as the Solicitor General of India
- Senior advocate Tushar Mehta is appointed the new Solicitor General of India by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC). Mehta is at present the Additional Solicitor General. He replaces Ranjit Kumar as he resigned the post in the month of October in 2017. The post was lying vacant since then.
- Mehta will hold office till June 30, 2020. Mehta was Gujarat advocate general when Prime Minister Narendra Modi was the chief minister of the state.
India ranks 147th in Oxfam World Inequality Index 2018
- Oxfam International’s report, the UK-based charity, released Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index. In the Index, India ranked 147th among 157 countries and was labelled as “a very worrying situation” with respect to the rising inequality in the country. Out of 157 countries measured, Denmark topped first based on its high and progressive taxation, high social spending and good protection of workers.
Nithya claimed glory in 100m in the fifth Telangana Open State athletics meet
- Nithya of Hyderabad clinched the honours in the girls’, under 20, 100m with a timing of 12.50s in the fifth Telangana Open State athletics meet in Hyderabad.
- Film Nagar Cultural Centre, in association with Telangana Cue Sports Association, will be organizing the State-ranking snooker and billiards championship for seniors and juniors with a prize money of Rs.1 lakh from October 25 to November 5 at its premises in Jubilee Hills in Hyderabad.
Shashi Tharoor introduces his book The Paradoxical Prime Minister and 29-letter word Floccinaucinihilipilification
Check out TNPSC Updates for latest current affairs…