General awareness section of competitive exams covers various concepts like general awareness, general knowledge, Current affairs and general knowledge. Check out our TNPSC Current affairs materials for 3rd October 2018 that helps you to prepare for various Tamil Nadu Government Jobs competitive exams like TNPSC, TRB, TET, RRB, UPSC, Banking other Competitive Exam.
New edition of Tirukkural is to be released on 5th October
The new edition of Tirukkural will be released on October 5, 2018. Vedagiri Mudaliar, who taught Tamil in Madurai Tamil Sangam, set up a printing press exclusively for the purpose. In the 19th century, 1850 to be precise, Tamil scholars turned their attention to Kalathur as Vedagiri Mudaliar first printed the Tirukkural with commentaries. The revised version was released in 1853.
Manipur won the 24th Senior Womens National football championships
Oreotrochilus cyanolaemus, a new species of hummingbird found
- A team of Ornithologistsin Ecuador has found a new species of hummingbird, a blue-green creature that lives in a cold, barren highland area. It is in danger of extinction.
- The bird has been named as Oreotrochilus cyanolaemusor blue-throated star. It is about 11 cm long and has a stunning, deep blue neck, a curved beak, a white breast with a black stripe and greenish-blue head and body feathers. It lives at an altitude of 3,000 to 3,700 meters in an area near the Pacific coast that straddles the provinces of Loja and El Oro.
Researchers developed spacesuits for microbes
Researchers from the University of California (UC) Berkeley developed spacesuits, a patchwork of mesh-like pieces called a Metal-Organic Framework (MOF), for bacteria which might allow the microbes to survive space environments that would otherwise kill them. The protective suits pair up with a living bacteria with light-absorbing semiconductors in order to capture carbon dioxide and convert it into chemicals that can be used by industry or, someday, in space colonies.
Three scientists, laser pioneers, won Nobel Physics prize
Odisha government launched own food security scheme
- Odisha government launched its own food security scheme on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti. Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the scheme at four different districts through video conferencing from the State Secretariat, Bhubaneswar. This scheme will benefit 25 lakh people who were left out of the National Food Security Act (NFSA).
- The beneficiaries will get 5 kg of rice per person per month at the rate of Rs.1 per kg. The State government will spend Rs.443.5 crore per annum to support the scheme and Rs. 221.75 crore in the current financial year. This move is after the refusal of the Centre to its request to add additional beneficiaries under the NFSA.
OPPI re-elected A Vaidheesh as President for 2nd term of Organisation of Pharmaceutical Producers of India (OPPI)
- The Organisation of Pharmaceutical Producers of India (OPPI) re-elected A Vaidheesh as President for the second consecutive term.
- He is working as Vice President, South Asia & Managing Director, in GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals.
Lonar Lake and St. Marys Island are announced to be geoparks
Lonar Lake, an ancient circular lake created by a meteorite strike, in Maharashtra and St. Mary’s Island, a hexagonal mosaic of basaltic rocks in an island off Udupi are poised to become global geoparks, under the plan of Geological Survey of India (GSI). Lonar Lake in Maharashtra and St. Mary’s Island and Malpe beach in coastal Karnataka are the GSI’s candidates for UNESCO Global Geopark Network status.
Ravi Venkatesan appointed as UNICEF special representative
Mahatma Gandhi awarded the US Congressional Gold Medal
India ranked 5th in pictorial warnings on cigarette packets: Canadian Cancer Society
Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated World Peace monument
- Vice-President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the world’s largest dome at the Maharashtra Institute of Technology (MIT)’s World Peace University (MIT-WPU) campus at Loni Kalbhor. It was inaugurated to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The ‘World Peace Monument’ dome took nearly 13 years to be built. The monument is of 160 ft. in diameter and 263 ft tall. It is larger in area than the dome at St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City.
Nobel Prize 2018: Nobel Prize in Physics Goes To Arthur Ashkin, Gerard Mourou and Donna Strickland
- Nobel Medicine or Physiology Prize awarded to James P Allison and Tasuku Honjo “for their discovery of cancer therapy by inhibition of negative immune regulation.”.
- This is for the first time that no Literature Prize will be given in 70 years because of a #MeToo scandal.
India-Born Professor Gita Gopinath Named IMF Chief Economist
- She is currently working as John Zwaanstra Professor of International Studies and Economics at Harvard University.
- She received her PhD in economics from Princeton University in 2001 after earning a B.A. from the University of Delhi and M.A. degrees from both the Delhi School of Economics and University of Washington.
Rangachari Sridharan appointed as Chairperson Of NFRA
- The former IAS officer Rangachari Sridharan as chairperson of the National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA), an entity which will function as an independent regulator for the auditing profession.
India and Uzbekistan signed 17 Agreements and MoUs
- The agreements were signed in the field of law, tourism, military education, agriculture, science and technology, commerce and industry, pharmaceutical, national security and illicit trafficking.
Check out TNPSC Updates for latest current affairs…