General awareness section of competitive exams covers various concepts like general awareness, general knowledge, Current affairs and general knowledge. Check out our TNPSC Current affairs materials for 24 May 2018 that helps you to prepare for various Tamil Nadu Government Jobs competitive exams like TNPSC, TRB, TET, RRB, UPSC, Banking other Competitive Exam.
MobiKwik Launches UPI on Platform, Offers Own VPA Handle
- Leading digital financial services platform, MobiKwik, announced the launch of Unified Payments Interface (UPI) on its platform via its own Virtual payment address (VPA) handle @ikwik. MobiKwik’s users can, by default, use their mobile number as their own VPA which will be ‘@ikwik’.
- They will also be able to link multiple bank accounts with just one VPA and users can change primary account as per their requirements.
- MobiKwik is the first in the industry to offer UPI access to a huge base of three million merchants on its app.
Smart Cities India 2018 Expo Underway In New Delhi
- A three-day Smart Cities India 2018 Expo, began in New Delhi.
- The mega event, consisting five expos is being held with a vision to help develop attractive and safe cities that evoke pride, passion and a sense of belonging among citizens.
- The five expos are Building India Expo, Solar India Expo, Transport India Expo, Smart Cities India Expo and Water India Expo.
- Over 300 exhibitors from different countries are participating in the 4th edition of this event.
India ranks 145th among 195 countries in terms of healthcare access: Lancet Study
- As per Lancet’s Global Burden of Disease study, India ranked 145th among 195 countries in terms of quality and accessibility of healthcare on the Healthcare Access and Quality Index (HAQ Index).
- However, despite such low rankings, India saw improvements in healthcare access and quality since 1990.
AB De Villiers Retires from International Cricket
- Star South African batsman AB de Villiers announced his decision to retire from international cricket with immediate effect.
- In his 14-year career, he played 114 Tests, 228 One-Day Internationals (ODI) and 78 T20 Internationals.
- Some of the Phenomenal Records of ABD are: The World Record for the fastest ODI 50 (16 balls), 100 (31 balls) and 150 (64 balls), the second highest individual Test score for South Africa (278*), the highest points (935) by a South African on the ICC Test rankings and has claimed the coveted SA Cricketer of the Year award twice (2014 and 2015).
HD Kumaraswamy took oath as New Karnataka Chief Minister
- The JD(S)-Congress coalition government head HD Kumaraswamy was sworn-in as the New Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- Governor Vajubhai Vala administered the oath of office and secrecy to Kumaraswamy.
- Congress Leader G. Parameshwara was sworn in as Deputy Chief Minister.
- There are 221 elected members in the Legislative Assembly, and the coalition partners have 117 members, including one BSP and two independents.
Bank Of Baroda Locates Major Operations At GIFT City
- Bank of Baroda successfully located most of its operational activities at a shared service center (SSC) at the GIFT City near Ahmedabad.
- The bank will now offer its services including retail loan processing, deposit account opening, forex and call center from the SSC, which will have a staff strength of 200. The bank will thus become one of the largest employers in the Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar region.
- The bank had taken 20,000 sq, ft of office space in GIFT City, making it the first Indian bank to move several key operations to the smart city.
Check out TNPSC Updates for latest current affairs…