General awareness section of competitive exams covers various concepts like general awareness, general knowledge, Current affairs and general knowledge. Check out our TNPSC Current affairs materials for 16 October 2018 that helps you to prepare for various Tamil Nadu Government Jobs competitive exams like TNPSC, TRB, TET, RRB, UPSC, Banking other Competitive Exam.
Bangladesh Editors Protested Against Anti Press Law
- Editors of Bangladeshi newspapers staged a protest against the newly enacted digital law. The journalists and rights groups said that the amendments will curb freedom of expression. The editors claim that the measures, including prison sentences for spreading negative propaganda, are an attempt by an increasingly autocratic Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to stifle dissent in the South Asian nation.
- According to the Digital Security Act 2018, a journalist could be convicted of espionage for entering a government office and gathering information secretly using any electronic device. This offence would carry a 14-year jail sentence.
World Food Day is celebrated as 16 October
- World Food Day is celebrated every year around the world on 16 October in honor of the date of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in 1945. The theme for WFD 2018 is “Our Actions Are Our Future”.
Shekhar Mande appointed as Director-General of CSIR: Appointments Committee of the Cabinet
- He will serve as secretary, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research and head 38 labs of CSIR. He replaced biotechnologist Girish Sahni, who retired on 31 August. He is currently a director at the National Centre for Cell Science (NCCS), Pune.
- He is also a life member of the Indian Crystallographic Association and is chairman at the National Committee for the International Union of Crystallography.
Priyank Kanoongo appointed chairperson of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR)
He appointed the Chairperson of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) by the appointments committee of the cabinet for a term of 3 years. He will be the 5th Chairperson of NCPCR. He replaces Stuti Kacker, whose tenure ended on September 16, 2018.
IITs topped in QS ranking
- Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings, a think tank that is famous for bringing out world rankings of institutions, reported that Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, has topped the first-ever standalone ranking of Indian higher education institutions. The top 8 Indian institutions in QS rankings are:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- University of Hyderabad
- University of Delhi
- The Centre is trying to facilitate more foreign faculty and foreign students’ intake in Indian institutions in order to improve global rankings of Indian institutions.
Prema Gopalan won Social Entrepreneur of the Year award 2018
- She was awarded for her work in promoting women’s entrepreneurship and rural livelihood. She is the founder of Swayam Shikshan Prayog (SSP). SEOY awards was founded by Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship and Jubilant Bhartia Foundation in 2010.
India and France are in talks for a bilateral tri service military exercise
- India and France are in talks for a bilateral tri-service military exercise. This is to take forward the strategic cooperation while exploring ways to operationalise the logistics agreement. These issues were discussed during the visit of Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman to Paris last week. An agreement has been signed to identify specific aspects to implement it.
- This will be India’s third such joint exercise. The first joint tri-service exercise was held with Russia in October last year and has finalised one with the U.S. to be held next year. India and France currently hold bilateral exercises between individual services, Shakti, Varuna and Garuda respectively for the Army, Navy and Air Force.
R.R.Sonde recommended hydrogen based technology for green energy production
- R.Sonde, Fellow of National Academy of Engineers (FNAE) and Executive Vice-President of THERMAX Ltd. said that the development of methanol and hydrogen-based technology for green energy production could turn energy-importing India into the energy-exporting country at the Dr.Abdul Kalam Memorial Lecture at Central University of Karnataka.
- The biggest challenge the world is facing today is the global warming and energy crisis. He also said that an innovative and multidisciplinary approach could help in addressing them. The meeting was held to mark former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam’s birth anniversary.
Centre launched Pollution forecast system
- The Centre launched a Pollution forecast system that can alert about the likelihood of extreme pollution events and dust storms three days in advance. The system was unveiled by the Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan. It will be made available to the public via the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and the Environment Pollution Control Authority in the next two days.
- The National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting, the IMD and the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune, are involved with developing the application.
Vaishno Devi shrine board enhanced the free insurance cover to pilgrims to five lakh
- Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB), in its 63rd meeting, approved to enhance free accident insurance cover provided to pilgrims visiting Vaishno Devi shrine.
- The decision was taken at the Raj Bhavan in Srinagar under the chairmanship of J&K Governor and chairman of SMVDSB, Satya Pal Malik. Under this, the accidental cover extended to each pilgrim free of cost has been enhanced to Rs 5 lakh from Rs 3 lakh, after 8 years. The board also approved to implement the Group Mediclaim Insurance Policy for all the 2,960 of its employees.
New Delhi to host 6th India International Silk Fair
- Smriti Zubin Irani, will inaugurate the 6th edition of India International Silk Fair (IISF) in New Delhi on October 16, 2018. The International Silk fair will be organized by the Indian Silk Export Promotion Council (ISEPC) at Pragati Maidan.
Youth Road Safety Learners Licence Programme launched by MoS Road Transport Shri Mansukh L. Mandaviya
- Shri Mansukh L. Mandaviya, Minister of State for Road Transport and Highways and Chemical & Fertilizer today launched the Youth Road Safety Learners Licence programme in New Delhi. This programme will be run in collaboration with Diageo India and the Institute of Road Traffic Education (IRTE). It will provide a structured training program for young, first-time drivers.
Leander Paes Lifts Santo Domingo Open Trophy
- Leander Paes won his second Challenger-level title of the season, lifting the Santo Domingo Open trophy with partner Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela.
Union Government Releases Analytical Report of National Health Profile 2018
- The report was prepared by the Central Bureau of Health Intelligence (CBHI), under the aegis of the Directorate General of Health Services. CBHI has been publishing National Health Profile every year since 2005.
Check out TNPSC Updates for latest current affairs…